Friday 26 March 2010

More Coverage of Hissa Hilal

This from The National Abu Dhabi.

Sort of breaks the Western stereotype about Muslim women.

I particularly like this quote.

Covering my face is not because I am afraid of people. We live in a tribal society and otherwise my husband, my brother will be criticised by other men,” she said.

“I know they love me and they support me. It’s a big sacrifice for them in such a society to let me go to the TV and talk to the media. I am hoping my daughters won’t have to cover their faces and they’ll live a better life.”
Sister Hissa nailed it.

The niqab is tribal taqlid from the Jahiliyya.

All posts on Hissa now have the label "Hissa Hilal". 

2 comments:

hut said...

AA,

I beg to differ. Her clarification does not at all break Western stereotypes of supression of women in the Arab Muslim world. On the contrary, it reinforces and justifies it. Whether the will of men that is being imposed onto women is motivated by tribal traditions and habits or religious dogma doesn't make much of a difference in real life. the fact is that most women are unfree to do what they want because they are either directly forced, or coerced by peer pressure into a particular behaviour by the real threat of being ostracised, which extends to their families as well. That's physical threat combined with emotional extortion.

Abu 'Arqala said...

TRN

Please do differ. There is no party line here. And if there is, it should be roundly challenged.

My point perhaps obscure was that women in the GCC may be in niqab but that many are not docile or idiots.

Indeed there is oppression, made even the more sad by being justified by reference to religion.