Wednesday, 13 January 2010

Women Drivers

This statement by a son of King Abdullah stands on its own.

“I’m not against women driving cars, but personally I wouldn’t be comfortable with my wife or daughters driving. I hope that it is not interpreted as me being against women driving cars, it’s just a personal view due to the ideas, customs and traditions that pervade society and need to be improved for the better.”
I for one would like to assure the Prince that I don't think he's against women driving cars.  After all, he did suggest in the same article:  "Perhaps we could first permit the recruitment of women drivers from abroad and then assess the positive and negatives." 

Definitely he's not against women driving cars. 

He's just a prisoner of backward ideas. 

I will, however, give the Prince two thumbs up for not conflating his retrograde views with the teachings of a noble religion.  In which case then we can safely assume these  social norms are unfortunate survivals from the jahiliyya.

No comments: