Tuesday 20 April 2021

McDonald's New "BTS Meal" Where's the Garlic?"

Not Coleslaw
Not Available at McDonalds

I read somewhere that McDonald’s was introducing the new "BTS Meal" with a worldwide roll out planned. Touted was the fact that one couldn’t get these flavors elsewhere in the world!

What is the BTS meal I wondered?

And eagerly read on hoping to steal a march on my august and revered elder and wiser brother, expert in many things Asian. 

It is the favorite meal of the Korean group BTS.

10 Chicken McNuggets, fries, and a Coke.

The apparent “unavailable” flavors were in some specially devised sauces: “cajun” and “sweet chili”.

Didn’t sound very “Korean” to me.

Then I remembered Bon Chon chicken. Ah, the flavors of Korean deep fried chicken. No doubt, Colonel Kim's secret recipe.

So check one ethnic box.

I was once taken to a BC restaurant on a visit to the USA for the apparently “Korean” fried chicken. But as requested by my elder and wiser brother, I note he had nothing to do with this

Sensing an opportunity for some real Korean food, I ask for Kimchi.

The waitress brought me a small paper cup about the size of cups one can get a shot of ketchup in a USA fast food restaurant. 

It was filled with what looked like “coleslaw”. Sadly, that’s how it tasted.

As to the BTS sauces, I suppose there is an “ethnic” connection.

Cajun sauce: South Korea, South USA.

Sweet chili” could be chojang, according to my august and revered elder and wiser brother demonstrating his in-depth knowledge of yet another Asian topic. Though he doubts it is.

“Hold the fermented soybeans, hold the garlic.” 

외국인”orders don’t upset us.”

Progress inexorably marches forward.

H/T to my elder and wiser brother fount of unstinting wisdom on matters Asian, but not on pizza.

No comments: