Wednesday 13 January 2010

Women Drivers

This statement by a son of King Abdullah stands on its own.

“I’m not against women driving cars, but personally I wouldn’t be comfortable with my wife or daughters driving. I hope that it is not interpreted as me being against women driving cars, it’s just a personal view due to the ideas, customs and traditions that pervade society and need to be improved for the better.”
I for one would like to assure the Prince that I don't think he's against women driving cars.  After all, he did suggest in the same article"Perhaps we could first permit the recruitment of women drivers from abroad and then assess the positive and negatives." 

Definitely he's not against women driving cars. 

He's just a prisoner of backward ideas. 

I will, however, give the Prince two thumbs up for not conflating his retrograde views with the teachings of a noble religion.  In which case then we can safely assume these  social norms are unfortunate survivals from the jahiliyya.

No comments: